Monday, July 27, 2009

Lawrence: right on the Memory Lane

We went to Lawrence, KS this afternoon right after harvesting corns right in the field (story about that later).
I met my husband there during my college years. Therefore, Lawrence is always going to be a very special place for us.

We went to our favorite place in downtown Lawrence (well, it used to be), The Orient at 1006 Massachusetts Lawrence, KS 66044. The owner, Nancy Nguyen, is a Vietnamese.
The food at The Orient is a blend of Vietnamese and Chinese food. It's a small place that most people sometimes forgot.
However, they have moved to the place next door and the former is a seafood place now, owned by her daughter.

We ordered our old favorites to go: Chicken Phad Thai and Pork Chop over rice.
Phad Thai at a Vietnamese restaurant? Don't be surprised. I always thought their Phad Thai was the best in Lawrence. Of course I've had a good share of delicious Phad Thai at Thai restaurant in Kansas City, but this was our memory being repeated and how much we loved this dish during our college years.
The Orient's Chicken Phad Thai was spicy, but sweet at the same time. It had shredded carrots and cabbages, then sauteed together with the Phad Thai noodle (rice noodle). The chicken were cubed and there were minced meats in there as well.
However, the peanut (as a staple ingredient in Phad Thai) was missing from the dish. I guessed they forgot about it.
No complains here, though. I still liked it a lot!

My husband always loved their Pork Chop over rice. This one was different though. They used to grill the pork chop with amazing marinate. This time I thought they pan-fried it. The seasonings were different, too. It had a spicy kick to it. My husband said it's still good, although not as good as the old one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment