Thursday, July 16, 2009

Changi Kopitiam

After more than 24-hour plane rides and transits combined, we were very happy to arrive in Singapore safely. By this time, we were very sick of the airplane's food. I couldn't believe they served those nasty food!

Changi Kopitiam seemed like a small oasis for all of us. It's located in terminal 1 of Changi Airport, right above the airlines counters.
It was still early in the morning and some of the food counters were not ready to open yet.
We immediately chose a plate of rice combination and noodle combination.

Mine was 'nasi lemak' (coconut rice) with chicken wing, fried fish, fried peanuts and anchovies, fried egg, 'sambal' (chili sauce), and a splash of curry broth.

First off, let me tell you about the rice. It was undercooked and dry! Also I was disappointed to find out that the food was at room temperature. I was expecting the food to be hot!
However, since I was so sick of the airplane's food and so ready to eat 'real' food, I tried to eat them with a grateful heart.
My son actually loved the rice. Maybe because he had no other option. :)

I would say the splash of curry broth and chicken wing were the best parts of this dish. The wing was tasty and crispy. The curry broth was delicious! Maybe the next time I go there, I'll order just these two.

Anyway, the fried fish was bland, it needed a lot more seasonings. And there was nothing special to the fried peanuts and anchovies. Alright, let's move to the other dishes.
The fried egg contained onion, green chili, and seasonings. It tasted good, but it was too spicy for the kids. I wished they would have more choices for the children.

Moving on to what my husband ordered, noodle combination was his choice. (Yes, I tried his food, too.)
It had "char kway teow" (stir-fry wide noodles), spicy long beans, fried fish balls, and fried chicken roll.
Whenever I think of "char kway teow", I always think of wide noodles cooked in sweet soy-based sauce with assorted meats and vegetables.

This noodle dish could not be called "char kway teow" because it was mixed noodles with no meats at all. I thought that was bad. It tasted OK, though.
I actually loved the spicy long beans. I thought it went along great with nasi lemak. I should have ordered that with my combination.
The fried fish ball was yummy. They really scored on this one. And the fried chicken roll tasted similar to the fish ball. Maybe they put a left over fish into the chicken. Huh!

So overall, the nasi lemak combination was below average and the noodle combination was average.
The price was ridiculously expensive and the foods were not hot. The latter was a big turndown!
I have to keep in mind the next time I come there, I will ask them to microwave the food.
However, I preferred these than those nasty food in the plane. Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment