Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gaslight Grill

5020 W 137th St
Leawood, Kansas
(913) 897-3540
http://www.gaslightgrill.com

Our restaurant choice to have our first real date without the children was at The Gaslight Grill. We've been wanting to come here for several months. After a bit of disappointment with The Plaza 3 (former occupant), we were a bit of worried about the newcomer.

The place wasn't changed much. Apparently the new owner did not change the style, leaving the high ceiling and open space intact. He added a new Jazz room in the back room, though.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted warmly and immediately seated. It was Thursday night, a Jazz night. Since it was our first date, we wanted to be seated farther away from the Jazz room. It was surprisingly quiet, not many people were there. We were a little bit apprehensive. A server came with a basket of bread and two types of spread.

I was reading the drink menu and decided to try the Pomotini (pomegranate martini) since it's also $5 martini night, but no one came to take my order after sometimes. So I looked at the dinner menu and decided to try on the Smoked Scottish Salmon as our starters and 14 oz Maytag crusted Ribeye for my dinner. My husband chose 8 oz Fillet Mignon for his dinner.

After we munched our last bread, someone finally came and apologized for not coming in sooner. We were in a very good mood (for it was our first real date), so we let it go with a smile. :)
I got my Pomotini, but I honestly did not like the taste of it. The good waiter offered something different, a Fruitini, made of Champagne and Chambord (black Raspberry liquor). It tasted sweet and left a bitter after-taste. I couldn't get a Cosmopolitan, but this will do.

The smoked Scottish Salmon looked like a rose on a plate. It was beautiful! There was minted Crushed Red Potatoes on the bottom of the rose, Crème Fraiche and Black Caviar on top of the rose, and mint-basil sauce all around the plate. I wished they did not combine the red potatoes with the salmon because it tasted like a cold mashed potatoes and did not go well with smoked salmon at all. A simple crostini would have been perfect.
I ended up eating the salmon with the toasted sourdough from the bread basket. The Crème Fraiche and Black Caviar were great additions to the smoked salmon. Great starter!

My Maytag crusted Ribeye came out and it was yummy-licious! The steak was cooked according to my request. It was smokey and tasty. The Maytag bleu cheese was a little bit overpowering the meat, I thought. But it gave a distinct flavor to the meat. It would still be great without it, though. The bacon and chive mashed potatoes looked simple, but tasted very good. I substituted the green beans with grilled asparagus and I couldn't be happier with my choice. It went along perfectly with the steak and mashed potatoes. The grilled tomatoes were fresh addition to the hot meal.

My husband's 8 oz Fillet Mignon was a better choice than my 14 oz Ribeye. Not only the meat was a better cut, it was more tender and tastier than the Ribeye. His side dishes were similar to mine, with a slight difference in the regular mashed potatoes compared to my bacon and chive mashed potatoes.
Overall experience was great. The food was outstanding and the service was great.

While we were enjoying our dinner, the owner came and greeted all the patrons. He was warm and a very nice guy. The manager came to our table at one time and deeply apologized for the mixed-up (the long wait at the beginning) and gave us a Free appetizer and Free drinks.

Thank you Gaslight Grill for giving us a great time for our first real night out.
What a great night! :)

Gaslight Grill

No comments:

Post a Comment